Re: [LUG] DO NOT TOUCH CHROME

Ross Bearman wrote:

> Several other GPL'd projects do the same and I've never
> seen it written anywhere in what I've read of the GPL, or it's FAQ,
> that you can't define other restrictions as long as they don't
> contradict those of the GPL."

You can, but you have to remove the word "GNU" to make it clear that the
license is no longer the GNU GPL license.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

Mozilla distribute code under a tri-license, so you can choose the GNU GPL.

Chromium licensing details here...

http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html

I'll just wait for the free version to appear in Debian (if it doesn't
the licence isn't free enough), but my initial impression is that there
is nothing there to frighten the horses. LZMA I hadn't come across, but
the "special exception" is more relaxed than other acceptably free
licenses that the same code is available under. Even WTL is available
under dual licences, although Google refer to the Microsoft Permissive
License, which Wikipedia claims is the old name for the Microsoft Public
License, so possibly something odd there.

The EULA is irrelevant if the source code is distributed under a more
liberal license, just compile your own (or get a DD to do it for you ;-).