Re: [LUG] Webmail for small screens?

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:57:20PM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > This is a home setup, by the way.  This is not a business use
> > scenario.
>
> Have you considered using GMail? They have nice IMAP access.
>
> > I have just got myself a nice shiny new N95 that has WiFi
> > capabilities... so I can check my emails from my 'phone easily from
> > WiFi hotspots anywhere.
> >
> > I do not think it is so crazy to want a webmail tool who's screen
> > arrangement works well on small (240 x 320) displays for the
> > occasional access.
>
> The N95's screen is that small!?! Wow. I thought it would be at least
> 640x[something]. That said, the web browsers in all the mobile devices I
> have used (various Zaurus devices with Opera, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90)
> were very good at fitting the sites onto the screen. Is the N95 not so good?
> I'm also quite surprised that squirrelmail doesn't scale down better. I
> guess the dual-pane thing is your problem, but I don't know of any
> webmail interfaces which don't use a similar arrangement.

I use the Nokia E61 (screen 4.5*5.5cms) for webmail when travelling. Key systems
used:
- The inbuilt mail feature with secure IMAP sending / receiving. This works but then
I have to get wifi access. My standby is a coffee at Macdonalds (the coffee is not
bad and the wifi is free).
- SquirrelMail over http. Internet access being provided by O2 at £7.50 a month.
This only provides internet. This works everywhere but frankly is a bit of a pain,
because I cannot read the email offline
- Use Putty to link into my main machine. Font size is a bit small. This only works
where I get full wifi access

Have thought about setting up a VPN and then accessing my main machine over but the
above works

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents