Re: [LUG] QDevelop

On Monday 01 September 2008 19:00, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > Anyone use it at all?
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Sorry I'm being sad and lazy while trying to break my addiction to
> > VStudio  - cant get simple 'forms' built in less than ~500% time on
> > anything in Linux yet...
>
> If you want to go C# .NET (mono) and Gtk#, monodevelop is quite good.
> You can bang forms together in a short space of time complete graphical
> layout. For quick GUI stuff it is IMHO great. Added benefit that you can
> get it to run (binary too) on windows. Of cause you could also use
> winforms instead of Gtk# but hey.
>
> Currently I have a little project that is Gtk# based, the advantage is i
> can load the code in to Visual C# 2008 at work or monodevelop at home
> (but editing GUI from VS is a pain as monodeveop generates the gui code
> automaticly).
>>From a developers point of view I love C#/MonoDevelop/SharpDevelop/VStudio.NET
and all the # stuff but the simple fact is its got syphilis/aids/alien47 in
it! It may at some time be re-claimed by MS at any time. Until its really
free its too much of a risk for me. I tend to do immersion stuff - get lost
in code and architectures for months at a time but I cant commit myself to
that at home. If someones paying me thats different but I cant look at my
kids and see code if I think MS are going to charge me, or anyone else, for
the privilege. I do hope de Icaza is right and it is 'free' cos it would be
funny to see MS hoisted by their own petard but it seems just tainted enough
to walk down the other side of the street.
I can do C#/C#.Net/Nunit with my eyes shut but I need/want something similar
under FLOSS and cant get close at the moment.
Having said that I've been playing with QDevelop today and I get the
impression its pretty good but theres something sort of slightly missing out
there - probably a tutorial or two in the same century as the product!
Anyone know how to fill a slot in a couple of clicks?
Tom te tom te tom