Re: [LUG] re homeplugs - VIP

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 16:35 +0100, Viv wrote:
> I have just found out that our home network has been hijacked by a
> neighbour, using a homeplug. We used homeplugs because we understood
> that this was impossible - that signals would not get past the meter.
> This is not true and we have tested it by trying it out at our
> neighbours, the other side.
>
> We only found out that it was happening because we went away and left
> the internet all on - when we got back we had a warning email from our
> ISP that we were about to exceeed our monthly download limit. Someone
> had download nearly 2 gb in 2 days !
>
> We are going to change over to a wireless router with encryption and a
> firewall but, for now have gone hard wired.
>
> I just wanted to warn all of you, in case you are using these.
>
> regards
>
> Viv

I have used homeplugs for some years. The docs say the network won't be
visible passed the main circuit board. This is not entirely true as I
have a holiday cottage attached to the main house with its own board.
The homeplug network used to be visible to some plugs, but not all. This
was actualy useful as I want to provide guests with broadband. However
one day it just stopped and never was visible again.

Because you call these gizmos "homeplugs" I guess you bought them from
Solwise, other manufacturers, mainly Devolo call them dLan plugs.
Solwise do not provide a linux app to encrypt the plugs. Devolo do and
it works with the Solwise plugs. You can download it from their website
and although you do need to compile it yourself it is pretty easy and
I'd be happy to help if you mail me directly. With encryption next door
shouldn't have access.

It's a great technology and I think safe, but the security, as with wifi
does need to be set.

Simon