Re: [LUG] Running Ubuntu from a USB Stick

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:40:01 +0100
tom wrote:

> Done it 4Gb - with GUI desktop, however USB boot is not as universal
> as say floppy so some machines refuse point blank to boot from a USB
> pen :-(, its also very confusing I've had old(er) machines boot fine
> from USB while new(er) models would refuse. Its all in the the hands
> of the BIOS unfortunately.....

Alas I have discovered this too.  I installed Ubuntu onto a USB
attached 20GB drive on my Mum's machine.  The installation went very
smoothly, and it did work... kinda.  Well, the BIOS found the USB drive
and passed control over to its MBR, and here it went a bit Pete-Tong.
For some strange reason, although when booting from internal hdd there
are not problems, when booting from a USB drive my Mum's machine seems
to suffer the "1024 cylinder" problem.  It also seems to be really
slow, even though it's USB2 throughout.  I gave up.  I'm in the process
of installing to her internal hdd. :D

Grant.