Re: [LUG] Linux @ University of Plymouth

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 18:28 +0100, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> Ross Bearman wrote:
>
> The course material can be lacking sometimes but then you are expected
> to be 'self learners'  at that level anyway and actually do the
> research

Which is why students 'read' a subject at University :-)

> 2. Actually study and not spend too much time in the bar!!

I find it ironic that the Uni has knocked down a whole load of
buildings, and some open space, to create the Rolle Building. However,
what has been left is the James Street Vaults pub right next to it :-)

> ...Lastly -- dont expect to be an expert when you finish...

Because you won't be. There is more to a 'computing' job than you will
learn at Uni. Some of the people we have had pass through here may well
have done well academically, but they had absolutely no idea of basic
system administration (for example). Secondly, they were usually a bit
too impatient to do 'new things', given that administration usually
involves a certain amount of 'the same thing' either day-to-day or at
least week-to-week.

John.