Re: [LUG] Linux @ University of Plymouth

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 18:28, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> Ross Bearman wrote:
> > I'll hopefully be joining Plymouth as a Computer Science undergraduate
> > this September and was wondering if anyone on the list is currently
> > studying at Plymouth, previously studied at Plymouth, or just happens to
> > know about the state of Computing there.
> >
> > My main question is how much access is there to Linux on campus? I'll
> > obviously be bringing my own computers but I was wondering whether there
> > were any/many Linux machines in open access areas or whether it's purely
> > Windows based?
> >
> > Also, if anybody had any insight into the course and it's lecturers it
> > would be great.
> >
> > Regards, Ross Bearman
>
> I Graduated from UoP last year - topped up from an HND - it's a great
> place - never had any problems with any of the staff - all very
> dedicated and willing to help if you have any problems.
>
> The course material can be lacking sometimes but then you are expected
> to be 'self learners'  at that level anyway and actually do the
> research, the best advice I can give is:
>
> 1. Check out the reading list and either buy your own or get the core
> text early and read it as  around the time of deadline and exams they
> can be in short supply.
> 2. Actually study and not spend too much time in the bar!!
> 3. Develop your study skills and attend one of the lectures/workshops
> that cover critical thinking and analysis...they may initially seem like
> a bit of a waste of time but they may help when you come to write
> reports, assignments etc
> 4. Allow plenty of time to research and create whats asked of you...
> I've spent years studying and even I fell foul of that one... spending 2
> day solid trying to meet a dealine is never a good thing - fortunately
> for me it only happened once and I got away with it  - I got 83% - but
> not recommended!!!
>
> I recommend these(both on Amazon:
> Critical thinking skill - developing effective analysis and argument -
> Stella Cottrell
> The study skill handbook - same author
>
> ...Lastly -- dont expect to be an expert when you finish.... learning is
> a life long and UoP is just the beginning - oh and have fun!!
Just to be a party pooper cynic - I would avoid a career in IT. I left the
industry after 25 years of watching computing going backwards and managers
with no brains earning far more than I ever could. If you have numerical
skills go into accounting and learn how to steal other peoples money and keep
computing as a hobby.
You may then be able to work out how computing companies can steal billions
from the taxpayer for software that can be obtained for free.
As for point 2 above - meet lots of people in the bar - you will find that its
who you know that seems to control careers. Bill Gates knows very little
about computing, dropped out of college and used his fathers friends in high
places to get the leg up ms needed to destroy computing and make money from
it.
But do enjoy it if you go!
Tom te tom te tom