Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

Kai Hendry wrote:

> Uptime probably will be a trade off. Though in pannuhuone.fi I only had
> downtime when there was power cut in Helsinki and my computer failed to
> properly reboot. Anyway what you gain is local access to your own
> hardware. Which is important for innovative companies.

How many people are really going to want access to their own hardware
though?

Some of the servers I manage are on power controllers and have network-
accessible console access at the BIOS level.  The only time they need
physical access is if there's a hardware failure, when I call an
engineer in the datacentre to get it sorted.  It's a lot less pain than
having to deal with it myself.

I'd only recommend colocation for clients with specific hardware needs
that couldn't be met by renting, or where they had a large number of
servers.

There are some people who want to colocate their own server because it's
cheap, but you're not going to make much money off them in the first
place and they come with a whole bunch of other problems.

James