[LUG] Console colours in tty

I have been trying to sort out a problem for the last couple of days.

During boot my start up messages show up as white on a black background.
This was usually how any of the alt-f1 to alt-f6 virtual consoles
worked for me with directories and certain system files being shown in
the standard colors (I guess,blue for directories etc)

I don't know what I've done wrong or altered but as soon as X has
started if I switch to a virtual console it's like looking at a dirty
grey font on a dark background that I can barely see.
The other colours are present but my prompt is this washed out grey colour.
Similarly dmesg shows everything in this colour instead of plain white.

If I use a terminal from within X, gnome for example everything is ok.

I need to get this sorted out so I can just have a nice crisp white
readable font again but I can't find the relevant file.

I don't know if it's the X server overwriting something (but I thought
the tty was independant of it) because it only changes once X has
started.

I've looked on google about problems with blank consoles because of
the wrong vga option in grub but mine isn't blank just this nasty
muted colour.

The font type and resolution itself if fine. I tried dpkg-reconfigure
(something to do with the font) which one bug relating to usplash
suggested but didn't solve it.

Pointers/advice appreciated.

Ray