Re: [LUG] [OT] rDNS questions

Matt wrote:

Can someone help clear up a query I've got regarding rDNS?
Am I OK setting a rDNS entry using just the domain part? eg
domain.co.uk points to 123.123.123.123? or should I be more specific and
create one like:
mail.domain.co.uk points to 123.123.123.123?
It's just that the rDNS lookup using the second example will show
123.123.123.123 resolving to mail.domain.co.uk
What if the rDNS is used from other subdomains? One IP address could be
used for lots of things so I'm thinking the first option is the correct
one.
Is rDNS just used for email validation or is it used for anything else?
If I set the rDNS like the first example and the website for that domain
is on a different IP would it mess things up?
I'm a bit confused...
Any advice anyone?
Cheers,
Matt.

In reply..................................

Hi Matt

I found that keeping the rDNS set up to the Domain was all that I required,
as you have rightly said you can have many sub domains set to 1 IP but only
1 IP to one domain name. Basically use the most relevant sub domain
required, emails issues might require mail.domain.co.uk, while a secure
connection might require vpn.domain.co.uk

I believe that most rDNS is used just to validate the domain as details of
the registrant, technical contact, postmaster etc are held with the
organisation responsible for the high level domain name, ie nominet is
responsible for .co.uk and openSRS .com domains. Clearly non registered
domain names should not work on the net.

Hope this helps

Charlie