[LUG] Peering in the UK

Forgive my ignorance here, but does all UK traffic get routed through
LINX?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_Exchange_Points_by_size

Judging by my informal traceroutes, I think everything does go through
LINX. Of course say internal nets like Virginmedia -> Virginmedia should
not get routed via LINX.

My colleague argues this is the case in order to make it easier for
intelligence services to spy on your communication...

I always assumed the Internet was de-centralised and didn't basically
have a single point of failure.

There can be exceptions of course. Like JANET. I wonder if
http://www.swern.net.uk/ operates along the A30. Though it is always a
bit weird with commercial companies and JANET, right? Perhaps if I
passed off as "research"?

Anyway, I now recall from my time in the Docklands that you don't want
to be connected to just one optic cable if you're a ISP. Say I connected
to just "Global Crossing" at PL30 4HZ. They could dictate the price.
Hence the need for peering.