Re: [LUG] Instruction Needed

Simon Waters wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:
>> I am still a newbie that needs to be instructed in the art of Linux
>> filing which as a many year user of Windows I still find very confusing.
>> Why can I not open the files contained on a USB stick as drive E or F?
>> All I get is partition1 which really is of no use to me. I would like to
>> see what is on the USB stick with a click or two. Similarly I find the
>> way I am to file an Open Office file odd.
>

> Typically you should see an icon appear on the desktop when you insert a
> USB stick. Clicking that icon should show the content of the USB stick.
> If it isn't doing that perhaps we need to work on the settings.
>
> The "drive E:" thing is a Microsoft-ism. Although you can arrange for it
> to be called anything you like, typically it uses the label on the
> partition being mounted. So you normally get something more descriptive
> than E: or F:.
>
> Could you describe the set-up you have (which distribution and version,
> and which desktop (GNOME/KDE/other?) you are using, and what happens
> when you plug a USB stick in - and what you would like to happen.
>
>  Simon

Simon,

I have Kubuntu 8.04 on an old desktop which I use for internet browsing
and in particular for online banking.
My Asus eeePC laptop runs their variant of Xandros and it is this
computer with which I have trouble with the filing system.

I can in the Home folder see the USB stick as well as the SD card but
get in a muddle opening and saving files to the 2Gb flash drive and the
SD card.

John