Re: [LUG] Interesting Vista ACPI feature...

Grant Sewell wrote:
> I have a new toy that came with Vista pre-installed.  I do not know if
> this is an HP specific "feature" or not, but today I discovered
> something quite "interesting" about Microsoft Windows Vista...
>
> I went to shut it down properly, not the default hibernate (suspend to
> disk) but a proper shutdown.  I thought it was shutting down nicely, so
> I closed the lid.  The default (and current) setting is that closing the
> lid will put it into standby (suspend to RAM).  Several hours later I
> open up the laptop to find it resumes from RAM and then continues
> shutting down as I had wanted.
>
> Now *that's* a bit stupid.
>
> Now that rant's off my chest... anyone got any positive stories about
> AR5007 chipset wireless cards under Linux?  That's what's in this baby.
> I've got it to the point where it will now see the wireless networks
> about, just not connect to them!  Arghgh!  Current distro of choice
> being Ubuntu 8.0.4, but others are welcome. :)
>
> --Grant.

LOL, my Dell does that on Windows XP.  Can be most annoying.  Usually
happens when I tell the machine to hibernate and it doesn't do anything.
  I then tell it to shut down and close the lid, and hey presto when it
reboots it resumes into a shutdown.

Sorry can't help on the wireless problem though.

Rob