Re: [LUG] where is everyone

> > Paul Sutton wrote:
> > > is it me or has the list gone quiet

I'm having a problem in erasing Windows from my life.  I run XP in Virtual Box
for 3 or 4 apps that I have not yet found an open source solution for.  The
most important of these is a programme called Micrografx Flowcharter which
I've been using since version 4 but my current one is V7 which dates from
about 1996.  I have used it for software flowcharts, manufacturing process
flows, business process flows, organisation charts etc but my main use is for
drawing family trees.  Yes, I am a geek.  Micrografx and susidiary Igrafx
were bought by Corel in 1991 and its products have disappeared without trace,
except for Windows Draw perhaps.

I can't find a reliable way of translating the proprietary .flo files into an
open format that can be edited.  Plenty of ways to read them and print them
but things get out of date.

So, bite the bullet and redraw my charts in another app.  I have tried the
following:
Scribus, Gimp, Xara, Inkscape, Robochart, 00 Draw (Which seems to be nearly
identical to Impress), Dia (which I find dire and diabolical), Qcad, Kivio,
Kflowchart, and some I can't remember.  OO Draw was the probably the best for
my purpose but there is one thing I can't get over in any of them.  In
Micrografx Flowcharter you can set your chart to be as large as you like and
the programme will automatically print out in as many A4 sheets as required
so you can tape them together.  I can sort of do that in some other apps by
setting the base sheet as, say, A2 and that will print out in several sheets.
But that is not the same as seeing where the sheet breaks are by faint dotted
lines so that you can plan the layout to suit.  Not quite a coconut yet so
Windows gets another reprieve... for now.

And now I'm off to fight the garden.

George