Re: [LUG] Rsync with audio/video files

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 14:49 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A friend of mine has mentioned a backup solution he currently has for
> backing up a load of audio and video files between two servers over the
> internet.
>
> Basically what he wants to do is send over only files that have changed.
> The audio files are uncompressed WAV files and the video is standard
> MPEG2 format video.
>
> I wondered if this is something that rsync would be able to do?
>
> Some of the audio files do occasionally have changes, such as trimming a
> bit of silence off the end of the file or adding audio to the end of it.
> I know technically it is seen as data but I wondered if rsync would
> successfully be able to send over the differences in files?
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

this works for me
To transfer from Shop on Shop  to kevinspc as root do

rsync -avz  ~shop/Documents/ kevinspc:~kevin/shoprsync/

To transfer from kevinspc on kevinspc  to Shop  as root   do

 rsync -avz /home/kevin/cashbook
shop:/home/shop/Documents/accounting/cashbook

To update the webserver from shop to linux do

as root on shop

 rsync -avz /var/www/html/ linux:/var/www/html/

it's so simple when it works
You need to put in passwords if required
You can do ssh rsync by swapping ssh "keys" so it runs unattended from
cron.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions, Liskeard Cornwall PL14 5LE
01579363386