Re: [LUG] cannot delete files on usb disk

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:48:41 +0100, james kilty wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 15:34 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
>> I'm going out on a limb here... it's a FAT32 formatted USB harddrive.
>> Since FAT32 doesn't actually support the idea of ownership or
> permissions,
>> they are faked when the device is mounted.  The entries in your
>> "/etc/fstab" file should control what permissions are faked.
>>
>> In order to delete files, the person trying to delete the file needs to
>> have RWX permissions on it.  You've said the file's ownership is "root -
>> root", and the permissions are RWX for the owner, R-X for the group and
> R-X
>> for everyone else.
>>
>> You'd either need to change the permissions in your fstab, or remove the
>> file as root.
>>
>> >From a command line (Konsole, perhaps?) you could run your application
>> (Konqueror, perhaps?) as root:
>>  $ sudo konqueror
> Indeed. I had a block on thinking command line is command line only - of
> course I have many a time done sudo .... It worked fine thanks.
>
> Of course I mounted the device as root so that's presumably why owner
> was root!
>
> James

Since it's a USB drive, it'll most likely be handled by udev rather than
the fstab, but you can always rectify this. :D

If it's a device that you'll want to use lots, then it may be worth adding
an entry in your fstab for it, that way you can control the permissions
easily...

Grant.