Re: [LUG] cannot delete files on usb disk

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:50:56 +0100, james kilty wrote:
> Hello
>
> You may recall I successfully regained my FREECOM usb hard disk using
> Kmenu's system settings>advanced>disk and filesystems. I can save to the
> disk, copy from it, but not move files off it (they do copy instead).
> Permissions are Owner can view and modify, group can view. Ownership is:
> user is root, group is root. Only owner can rename and delete. (On mouse
> over icon: Permissions: drwxr-xr-x; Owner: root - root) I cannot change
> the access permissions. If I try to delete/move I get access denied.
>
> In the Configuration - KDE Cpntrol Module, as administrator (root) there
> is no option to change permissions other than any user may
> enable/disable anytime and similar.
>
> Is there a GUI for changing permissions? If not, how do I do this?
>
> Thanks

Hi James,

I'm going out on a limb here... it's a FAT32 formatted USB harddrive.
Since FAT32 doesn't actually support the idea of ownership or permissions,
they are faked when the device is mounted.  The entries in your
"/etc/fstab" file should control what permissions are faked.

In order to delete files, the person trying to delete the file needs to
have RWX permissions on it.  You've said the file's ownership is "root -
root", and the permissions are RWX for the owner, R-X for the group and R-X
for everyone else.

You'd either need to change the permissions in your fstab, or remove the
file as root.

>>From a command line (Konsole, perhaps?) you could run your application
(Konqueror, perhaps?) as root:
 $ sudo konqueror