Re: [LUG] Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day - Helpers needed

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've arranged to get another pitch at the Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day
> this year.  Learning from last year, I thought this year it would be
> good to have some machines up and running with internet access so
> visitors to the Fun Day can come along and browse the internet and in
> the process have a play with Linux.
>
> For this we're ideally going to need a few things which I'm hoping we
> could raise some funds for.
>
> The things we will need at the moment are...
>
> - A Gazebo with side panels (so if it rains the computers and visitors
> will be kept dry, if it's sunny it'll keep the sun off the screens).  I
> had a look at the Argos web site and they have gazebo's starting at
> about £10, with side panels costing an about additional £25.  I did
> think about a floor sheet too but I'm not sure if we'd really need
> something like that or not (guess it depends on if the weather is good
> or not).  If anyone already has a Gazebo which has 3 metre sides (so
> it's a square shape) which we could borrow that would be great.
>
> - A Devon & Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group banner.  I thought this would
> be more professional looking than last year which was some pictures of
> Tux printed in colour on an A3 sheet and put on a cardboard background.
>   The banners are about £50 ish but they are about 3 metres by about 1
> metre and made out of some sort of material so they can be re-used for
> other events.
>
> - Tables and chairs of some description.  I think one table will be
> provided, but I think we might do with another table and a couple of
> chairs.  Asda do some canvas chairs for £4 each (under their Asda
> Outdoor Living Range - Green Quad Chairs).  I can bring two of these
> along.  Not sure about tables, anyone do regular car boot sales who
> could bring one along or suggest something?
>
> Assuming Tom Brough is happy for us to use his mobile LTSP installation,
> we will have a couple of laptops and an LTSP server running over
> wireless.  The internet access is provided by a Three Mobile 3G
> Broadband modem.  I can get a generator from Gemini FM which should be
> beefy enough to power the machines for a couple of hours (maybe a petrol
> can of fuel might be useful too).
>
> If anyone is able to lend a hand, maybe help people out and discuss
> Linux on the day, that would be good.  I also thought we could give away
> copies of The Open Disc and maybe a live Linux distro such as an Ubuntu
> disc (might be worth ordering a whole load now thinking about it).
>
> Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
>
> The actual fun day will be on 16th August 2008 at Heavitree Hospital
> (next to the Police station).  I think it runs from 10am to 4pm although
> we could do with being their much earlier, probably about 8am to setup.
>
> If anyone can help out that would be great.
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

When is it ?

Ah,  16th August I may be out with the Paignton vets team,   not sure yet.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug