Re: [LUG] SSL Self-Signed Certs

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am trying to generate my own self-signed 128bit encrypted
> certificate for the following server:
> <https://shop.rhubarbinteriors.co.uk/>
>
> Basically I need it to confirm its location to Google.

What has this got to do with self signed certificates.

> It is not
> intended for Joe Public. I'm working on Mac os 10.5.2 and am wondering
> if anyone can give me some help. I have found various websites that
> talk about this but they all talk as if you were working on the server
> itself. I need to generate the certificate locally and then upload
> later.

The server will have (or you will generate) a key for that server, as
long as when you copy the certificate you copy the same server key used
in creating the signing request it should work fine.

Create server key.
Create signing request
Turn this into a certificate using your own CA
Copy server key and certificate to host.

But why not generate it on the server, it saves messing around, and
since it isn't used till it is configured it hardly matters.

I'm guessing one could mess up if say Mac OS apache install is older or
newer, and supports different encryption methods

  Simon