Re: [LUG] Flash Player 9

Steve Lee wrote:
> 2008/6/23 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Having got bored with the BBC site complaining of not having the correct flash
>> player I've 'upgraded' to 9 and now get no sound from it - anyone got any
>> ideas on how to fix this?
>
> iPlayer?
> Do make sure you don't have another sound using program running. Linux
> can be pretty reluctant to share the sound.

Well the secret is to ensure that you don't have more that one program
accessing sound hardware directly. If your application uses OSS and hits
/dev/dsp directly then only one is possible at once. The solution is to
use a sound server, ASLA, ESD, etc even artsd in kde.

There are also wrapper scripts artsdsp for example that can wrap a false
/dev/dsp and for an application and redirect through artsd or alsa (as
applicable) transparently.

Bare in mind that for embedded flashplayers, its firefox that needs the
wrapping/directing to a sound server and i think the startup scripts
(for firefox) on debian anyway allow this to happen. Other distros
probably do similar things

Robin