Re: [LUG] AUTOMOUNTING EXTERNAL HARD DISK

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 22:38 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > My /home is full. At least I keep getting the message that it is when I
If /home is full log in as root

this gives you a usable space to play with

you may have hidden .trash files for different users on /home
try to find them.

do a mount -a
or list the mount command to see where the usb disk should be mounted if
it is on the full disk is this why it fails?

> > boot up with, now, 0% free. Actually Konqueror says I have 4.7GB free
> > out of 27.5 (100% used). It also claims the size of /home is 25.9GB.
> > Contents seem to inflate like a balloon in spite of deleting (and
> > emptying trash) such as .isos of 3GB. I need to transfer some to an
> > external usb hard drive. I have done this successfully with previous
> > editions of Kubuntu on my 64bit computer but not with 8.04. The hard
> > drive automounts on my laptop, running the 32bit version of Kubuntu and
> > is named FREECOM. When I plug it into the desktop, I see the icon called
> > FREECOM HDD and any attempt to open it gives the nessage "mount point
> > media/FREECOM HDD does not exist".
(should the mount point be /media/FREECOM  ie missing "/"

> > How can I correct this and restore my communication with the device?
> >
> > Later I hope to perhaps move the contents of the partition to a larger
> > (empty one - saved for trying other distros), perhaps using partimage,
> > but can I do this in one step?
> >
> > Finally, if I want to back up using rsyc or Unison. Is it best to format
> > my hard disk as ext3 - it is currently FAT32 or partition it?

the usb disk is most useful as Fat working as a portable disk if
security is not a condition.