Re: [LUG] CCC website hacked

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The move to CCT and departmental IT autonomy crippled any cohesive IT
> policy - petty empire building was the norm and as a council tax payer, I
> hate to think about the reasons for some of the purchasing decisions.

I've been arguing with some other lib dem bloggers about having a
CIO/CTO at (shadow) cabinet level - nobodys buying.

>>That would definitely be a step in the right direction, but also keep in mind many individuals at that level do NOT necessarily come from >>an IT background, but more likely a business background solely.  The IT industry must be the only department within business that >>has a head whose background doesn't necessarily match their expertise.

Having national policies, knowledge sharing, development sharing, open
standards for connecting local and national systems and government -
that kind of thing - but apparently it's all best left to heads of
department. Nobody seems to want to rock the boat.

> Enough ranting - I just cannot be bothered with it all - so the website is
> hacked - if it is anything like it used to be, that is a minor issue indeed.

If it was defaced that would just be embarrasing - RTFA - this was a
case of injecting malware into every page.

You have to wonder how many council tax payers were infected before it
was sorted.

>>Also in the news, IronPorts blib on /. about the bulk of pharmecueticals spam coming from Russia with a 40% commission.  To a >>certain degree, part of me wonders how the media would've spun this had it been a steal-all-your-authentication-base-belong-are-us >>scenario.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk