Re: [LUG] CCC website hacked

I could tell you a whole load of stuff about  the CCC IT department as the
one time head of the mainframe technical support team (12 years ago I left).
This was just at the end of the  time when we had a department respected by
ICL -  we were doing things with their mainframe they hadn't themselves -
the combined service availability figures were 98% ish (high for the time
particularly when one considers there were probably 10 online TP services
running concurrently, failure of any one of which would hit that figure) -
we were already green oriented, printing job journals only on job failure,
we devised a system of cross phase transaction locking which I still haven't
seen bettered - all sorts of good stuff.   Unfortunately most of the good
people (me included) ended up crashing out big time with stress as all the
good works were gradually undermined and made redundant due to petty
politics and possibly worse.

The move to CCT and departmental IT autonomy crippled any cohesive IT
policy - petty empire building was the norm and as a council tax payer, I
hate to think about the reasons for some of the purchasing decisions.

I cannot understand  the MS policy of fixing problems by switching it off
and on again - anything that went wrong with the mainframe was traced and
cured - this often involved sending a bug report to ICL who would, when
necessary, produce a patch to cure the error submitted - even if there was
only 1 occurrence of the problem - and I certainly cannot understand ANYONE
basing a business computer solution on this model.

Enough ranting - I just cannot be bothered with it all - so the website is
hacked - if it is anything like it used to be, that is a minor issue indeed.

David