[LUG] adding new hardware

My whole system including the master telephone socket, adsl filter, router, 2
switches, print server and the ethernet interface on one of my debian boxes were
destroyed by the storm  a couple of weeks ago.

All is now replaced and working except the server. It was an on board 3com
interface. I've disabled it in the bios and put in a 3com card. Dmesg now shows a
3c905 but no sign of it when I run ifconfig. Is there a way to detect/add it?

Thanks
 James