Re: [LUG] OT Free-sat

On 21/05/08 22:35:23, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:12:51 +0100stinga wrote:
> > On 21/05/08 18:07:53, Ray Smith wrote:> > On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 07:06 +0100,
> > stinga wrote:> On 20/05/08> > 17:49:31, M.Blackmore wrote:> > > > On Thu,
> > 2008-05-15 at 08:32> > +0100, george wrote:> > > > > I've been reviewing my TV
> > aerial> > requirements to get the best digital > > > reception and I noticed> >
> > the blurb on free-sat TV.  > > > > Does this freesat - which I'd> > never heard
> > about - use Sky dishes, i.e.> > are satellite dishes> > "generic", thus saving
> > us the cost of buying a> > dish? We've still> > got the old sky receiver as
> > well, tho' never used it. > > > >> > Simple answer yes...> Just plug the
> > receiver in and off you, you> > will only get 'now and next'. Want the EPG? Pay
> > sky a one off £20> > freesatfromsky card and you are go to go. I'm actually
> > wondering -I> > know I can get the sky freesat channels but the new freesat> >
> > servicefrom the BBC & ITV as announced on the news last week, can> > the sky
> > dishbe used with this service if I were to get a freesat> > receiver ?Reason
> > being that you can get the new boxes with support> > for HD builtin.The standard
> > sky box and their version of freesat> > doesn't. Ray> > There is no difference
> > bwtween sky and freesat except the EPG.> Sky and freesat use there own EPG's and
> > they can't use the other.> > So yes, a working sky dish can use freesat, freesat
> > will be more> expensive if you aleady have a dish and a sky box, and a sky box
> > can> be had from nothing off freecycle
> We have a Sky-digital dish (installed on a pole in the garden due tothe house
> being a listed building) and a Sky "digibox" that weno-longer use.  I can't find
> anything on the Freesat or Freesatfromskyregarding positioning the dish.  Our
> dish's current position ispointing at the "normal" Skydigital satellite - is this
> the right oneto get Freesat or would it need repositioning?
> Cheers.Grant.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FREESAT AND FREESATFROMSKY. Except the EPG.

If you had sky, you have a dish and box and a card, just turn it on and it will
work! You don't need to buy anything.
If you or someone else had sky and have a dish and a box then turn it on, it will
receive most things but the EPG will by crippled.

freesatfromsky and freesat use the same transmission frequencys but they use there
own EPG.
freesat is an EPG and nothing else.

We have the "RadioTimes" and "TV Times" magazines(EPG), does your legacy(or should
that be classic) tv pickup "BBC 1" from the Radiotimes and a seperate "BBC 1" from
"TV Times" or is there only one transmission of "BBC 1" and the RadioTimes and the
"TV Times" point you to the channel?

BTW:
Does this email look ok, or is it a jumbled mess?
I seem to be seeing some of them as jumbled mess.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\