Re: [LUG] bbc on open source

2008/5/21 Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Anton Channing wrote:
> Interesting, but last I checked, AVG wasn't
> open source, just freeware...
>
> To keep it opensource they shoud have mentioned
> Clam and ClamWin... :/
>
> Anton

It's wrong as well.  As of the end of this month AVG Free is no longer
supported and will not receive updates.  I am now getting frequent popup
adverts for AVG 8.0.  If I'm going to have to pay then I'll be looking
for performance.  AVG was fine while it was free, but not if competing
with the commercial antivirus products.
Are you sure it's not AVG Free 8.0? They only launched this recently (http://free.grisoft.com/ww.news.ndi-93835) - seems a bit daft launching a free AV program on April 24th then withdrawing support from it just over a month later!
I know a while back they withdrew support for an earlier version of the free AV program but only because they were upgrading it. I can't remember the version number but do remember a lengthy email conversation with my ex-mother-in-law reassuring her that it was still free and it would still protect her PC!
Jason