[LUG] OT: TFT's with 1:1 pixel mapping (no screen expansion)

Hello everyone.

Maybe somebody here can help me. I am attempting to buy a TFT. This
should be simple, but apparently not.

I regularly have to run games at 1024x768, which is guaranteed to be
less than the monitors optimum resolution. The problem with this is that
every TFT I have ever encountered has the totally *brain dead* behavior
of stretching and blurring the image to fit the whole screen. Not only
does this make the image all fuzzy but I'm sure that it makes the
response time longer, which increases the ghosting effect.

I have only ever encountered one TFT that allows this stupid "feature"
to be disabled. It's my friend's Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP. So I started
looking at Dell monitors, and they're all very nice, but the worst part
of all this is that this vital information is missing from every product
description, every ebay listing, the lot. It just isn't there. It's like
nobody except me even notices the problem. The only way I could even
roughly find out this information (without somebody actually having the
exact monitor to test it) is to look at the user manuals and see if
there is an option in the OSD for it. What a mess.

It looked promising- like Dell might allow sane behavior on all recent
monitors, but alas no. The 2007FP and 2007WFP (widescreen version) both
have composite/s-video input as well. It seems that only the ones with
the extra inputs have a sanity option. But these are all much more
expensive- 260 pounds on ebay, and I don't need the extra inputs. I saw
the newer 2009W (only DVI/VGA) for 185, which looked really nice, but
unfortunately looking at the manual it also appears to be broken. I
tried the 17" versions, but couldn't find anything sane there either.

My friend found that Nvidia has an option for the graphics card to
output at the TFT's optimum resolution and add the black borders, but
I'm dubious as to the performance cost of this.

So I'm back to square one. Please- does anybody know of any other TFTs
with sane behavior? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks.
Simon