Re: [LUG] Anyone on a blueyonder cable connection?

James Fidell wrote:
> Anyone using a blueyonder cable connection and able to do a quick test
> for me?
>
> I'm being told a server is playing up for someone on such a connection,
> whilst everyone else seems to be able to connect to it fine and they
> claim to be able to connect to other sites without a problem, too.

We have a business connection at work.

This afternoon (same time as you were posting) we had weird behaviour.
Some clients able to connect to remote web servers, other clients with
adjacent IP addresses not able to. In general you'd get an outgoing
connection (SYN ACK), but no response to the HTTP GET.

Very much indicative of some device (probably a router) dying, or
possibly a proxy server (if they are using some sort of transparent proxy).

I placed a call to check for known issues and was told there were none
known.

Spent about 1.5h working through possible causes, and came to no clear
conclusion, except it wasn't a trivial issue, as it kept shifting
subtly, wasn't our firewall, wasn't individual client devices.

Clients using the Squid proxy seemed to be a lot happier, but you'd
expect that if connectivity was poor.

No indication of a general issue with incoming traffic (which was at an
all time high). The problem still existed when I had to leave to do
other stuff circa 18:00.

We did see something like this before when they accidently started
routing our outgoing HTTP request via a proxy system.

I can login and try things for you from work if you still see the
problem, but we saw the issue varying from machine to machine, and site
to site, so it might not be a simple test if it is the same issue.

 Simon