Re: [LUG] Open Office

martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> I uninstalled NFS and NIS and lo and behold, all is sweetness and
> light.
>
> The last time I installed NIS (on a Redhat system) it defaulted to the
> safer "synchronous" mode which performed much slower than "asynchronous"
> mode - which I understand is less safe but perfectly adequate in most
> cases.

He said boot time was slow - which suggests to me that there was a
timeout (or several) waiting for NFS mounts, or NIS lookups weren't
working, or similar. Rather than poor I/O performance during NFS writes.

NFS and NIS wouldn't add more than a second or two to boot time assuming
everything is configured correctly, and any servers are already up and
running when the client boots. Of course if it can't find an NFS server
or NIS server when needed on boot, things won't go so well.