Re: [LUG] Servers

Simon Avery wrote:
> I'm not sure of the size of removable media nowadays, but you could
> always use a hotswap sata caddy that they pop the hdd out of the server
> at hometime. Cheap, big, easy to have several to allow tiers of backups.
> Downside: Not that good when dropped/chucked. Heavy?
You can get a USB external caddy SATA or IDE from www.ebuyer.com for
around £20  In fact I was looking at them yesterday for a friend and all
three of Scan.co.uk, Aria.co.uk and ebuyer.com stock them.  Not much
choice though - mainly the IcyBox - for some odd reason IDE caddies are
much more common than SATA.  There are also eSATA options but a) they
are expensive compared to others and b) they require the server to have
eSATA on the motherboard.

Question.  If it's going in a caddy does it *have* to be SATA?  If not
your choice is much wider.

Being USB of course you can just unplug it and toddle off home at the
end of the day.

Kind regards,

Julian