[LUG] Servers

Hi

I support a nas box for a team of architects. I have a nas box for a
backup system which it does at 5pm most days and takes about 10 mins.
All guys stop work and do something else. The backup can then be taken
home. They are currently using around 2-5 gig of space a week and we
have worked out they will need a new nas box or server by the end of
the year.

Additionally, they have some windows server software which they would
like to run.

My questions are several as you can guess.
1. Is it possible to build a Linux server that can run windows server
software and also act as a file server?
2. If not then what I will do is simply set-up a windows box and mount
the drive to the workstations and use that for accessing the windows
software. I have already ascertained that this will work. I will then
need to build a Linux server with adequate backup. Should I go down
the nas route again or would it be better to purpose build a server?
The reason I ask is that these guys now want a constant backup system
that can also be taken home. The backup to be able to switch over if
the first server goes down. It seems that I might be better running
two servers, one that does the work, the second to act as a permanent
backup and then a further backup solution. If I do run two servers is
it worth having raid configurations please?
3. It seems I will end up with multiple servers so when it comes to
rebuilding the network is it going to be a good idea to hive it off in
various directions please? Area 1 is the servers and backup, area 2
printers and finally area 3 the workstations. By areas I mean using
different switches. In this way I could isolate the servers from the
internet and only give the workstations access to the internet. The
idea being to keep the servers )hopefully) free of intrusion.

Best route for buying servers and software to use? Should I use a
smoothwall firewall as an additional protection?

Any tips or do you need some extra information please?
--
Kind regards
Rich