Re: [LUG] Computer security

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:41:34 +0100
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

> Identity Theft is a huge and growing problem. Am I being too
> complacent because I use Linux only?

Possibly.  Whilst it's true that nearly all viruses are written to
exploit weaknesses in Windows, it also true that many servers deployed
on the internet run a *nix variant, and they're not immune from attack.

Although not on 24/7, I take what security precautions I can;  Firewall
on the router, change passwords regularly (at least monthly), update
software with known exploits, only use software from reputable sources
and always md5sum (or whatever) check them before installing....

There's probably things I should be doing, but currently, aren't.

--
 Regards  _

Your father was a megalomaniac, you've got an insane brother
Pure Mania - The Vibrators