From: Jaan Jänesmäe <secrgb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:39 PM
Subject: a pledge to the public
To: list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey,

 I'm currently developing a website and having problems with IE
 compatibility. Anyway, i wondered, has the lug ever made public
 statements that have been highlighted in the national newspapers or
 even on tv? If not then now is the time. We have to get some respect
 from the public and come to the front line of war against M$.

 Why can't we create a public pledge or statement, that computer
 retailers like PC World and Dell and others have to offer some sort of
 FOSS operating system as standard. What i mean is, like if you go
 shopping on dell.co.uk then currently it shows under laptops M$
 windows as standard. Why can't there be a choice and 2 prices? I think
 even a small amount (up to £5 per disk) is fine as ubuntu charges for
 large amounts of disks. We as a lug could also set up a series of
 support websites and systems that would help the standard user.

 If we make a public pledge and simultaneously offer like a standard
 pledge to the MP-s (like a  form you can download, print and send to
 your mp). Why can't we make people listen to us?

 On another matter: I know schools and FOSS is currently a great debate
 on the list and has been for a while. So why can't we just pick one
 school, show them, that there is not much difference in using FOSS and
 prove how they can save money by getting FOSS solutions. Surely, there
 we should use dual boot systems first.

 Anyway, I think it is time for change and we have to come out of the
 closet, big time!

 --
 Sincerely,
 Jaan Jänesmäe