Re: [LUG] Interesting article about the OOXML ISO standardisation

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I found a link to this article from The Register comments...
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-great-besmirching
>
> It's an interesting article about how the ISO look like they're going to
> possibly approve Microsoft's OOXML 'standard' as an ISO standard.  Tell
> you what, if it goes through I'll have no faith in the ISO anymore.
>
> It suggests that we contact our MEP's, surely it can't hurt to try.
>
> Rob

Unfortunately the battle lines where drawn on the basis of pro / anti
microsoft lobby, not on technical specification. To be fair to Microsoft
they have put together a standard and they have gone through a (legal)
process of pushing it through ISO.

I cant say if any "incentives" have been offered to win hearts and
minds, but if the ISO had been impartial it would have mentioned to
microsoft that there was already and approved standard (ODF) and that
perhaps they (Microsoft) could stop wasting everybody's time and
implemented that in their Office Suite.

Unfortunately OOXML while having open elements will also incorporate
Microsoft FUD control mechanisms in its usual Borgish fashion. Adopt,
Adapt, Agitate and Aggravate the standards bodies. Its being sold
heavily in the .net mags as the next best thing despite having had this
sort of technology in OpenOffice for well over 12 months.

Perhaps we should individually write to the ISO and ask them what is the
point of having two practically identical standards where one (already
ratified) standard would do !

What is the Business case for duplicate interpreters, parsers and
utilities need to handle the dual standards .... when one set is already
free at source and proven in the market place !

Tom.