Re: [LUG] Virgle - A joint Google & Virgin Mars colony

Julian Hall wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> LOL.
>>
>> Well they've already got Windows for War Ships.  God knows how we all
>> haven't been blown to kingdom come by a rogue IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL I
>> don't know.
>>
>> Rob
> MS:  Hello Microsoft Technical Support
> Admiral:  Yes, hello.. my flagship sank when I engaged the CIWS[1]
> MS:  What were you doing at the time?
> Admiral:  Trying to shoot down an Exocet
> MS:  Did you reboot and try again?
> Admiral:  Erm.  The ship is in 600 feet of water.
> MS:  So...Did you reboot and try again?
> Admiral:  Uhh.. NO.
> MS:  Is this the first time this has happened?
> Admiral:  No the ship sinks quite often.. what do YOU think?
> MS:  I must remind you sir this call is being recorded.
> Admiral: *expletives*
> MS:  What exactly happened sir?
> Admiral:  Several incoming missiles appeared on radar and approached to
> close range.  I ordered the CIWS energis...
> MS:  Why did you do that?
> Admiral:  Erm.  To shoot the missiles down?
> MS:  What order did you turn the systems on?
> Admiral:  Huh?
> MS:  If you turn the targetting system on after powering the turret
> servos the unit will not operate.. it's on page 79 of your user manual...
> Admiral:  *expletive!!*
> MS:  Sir I must advise you if you swear again I will terminate this call
> Admiral:  *grumble*
> MS:  Now then sir, did you turn to port prior to executing the
> energising of CIWS?
> Admiral:  !?!?!?  No.. why should I?
> MS:  I'm sorry sir that's not on my list.. I'll have to arrange a
> callback for you.....
> Admiral: *%^$£&@#'~ your callback
> MS:  I have warned you sir I am now terminating this call.
>
> heh...
>
> Julian
>
> [1] Close In Weapons Systems - last I read they were controlled by a
> customised Win2K.. aka Windows for Warships

LOL, see I thought that they would run on something like BSD or VAX or
something.

Saying that, when I worked at the Royal Naval College they ran just
Windows, even for the clustered terminal servers.  If one server crashed
it would sink the lot of em.

Rob