[LUG] SOHO FLoss in Schools etc

Having avoided 'network' management for a long time I was wondering what state
we're (the FLOSS world) on this one?
One of my pet hates in computing is the dislocations involved in growing a
network. The IP stuff is easy but logins/security etc are a nightmare - or
more complicated than they should be.
My 'philosphy' is that you should be able to start with one machine and
seamlessly grow:
One machine, with NIS and LDAP  so you can add users and security on that
machine.
Another machine can be added and that merely needs to be pointed at machine 1
(and password given) to allow it to become part of the network and share the
users details and security settings etc.
Other machines can be added willy nilly to make clusters for important parts
and machines can be gracefully retired/upgraded etc.

Is there something that would allow NIS and LDAP to co-operate? I believe that
there should be one 'control interface and you can do that with LDAP if it
can talk to NIS properly. ie someone on any machine with the right
permissions can add a user, add that user to the appropriate groups and have
it update system wide so that the new user can sit at any machine (within an
hour or so of starting) and have access to all they are allowed and no more.

Now if this could be interfaced with legacy systems like Windows DS and
Workgroups then it should make introducing Linux to schools and business a
lot easier. And would save me a lot of time at home!
Tom te tom te tom