Re: [LUG] Fwd: CRN 813727 - MAC compatibility

On Sunday 23 March 2008 20:34, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On 23/03/2008, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > I'd rather be discriminated against than taught by these people thank
> >  > you very much!
> >  > What courses were you interested in - perhaps we can collate enough
> >  > FLOSS stuff to put them out of business in that line?
> >
> > Ok
> >
> >  We need an alternative,  Rob beard is making great strides over in
> >  exwick,  and Richard Brown is making progress too,  lets hope both
> >  centres can offer something.
>
> To be able to put together some sort of centre of excellence that
> would dispel the myths about computers. And I don't just mean word. I
> find the folks who stick to doing word continue to be in awe of
> computers. But teach someone to start to use keyboard shortcuts in
> word and they discover a new kind of computing. From there server
> management is nothing!
>
> If you were to build a centre of excellence where would you start?
I would suggest this:
There is an European Computer Driving License and to some extent the courses
are meant to achieve the goals set out in this.
If you think you need a Word course then look at the requirements and see if
you can do the same in Writer and if possible prepare an HTML guide to how to
do it. Release the HTML under creative commons or something similar and then
someone can release the course for Word should they feel so inclined.
This achieves 3 things:
1) You learn Writer to the ECDL level - the skills should translate almost
directly to Word
2) You create something that proves at least the first part of 1)
3) You have created something that reduces the Word dominance and also sends a
message to learndirect etc that their market is going to dissappear if they
dont address other options.

On 3) of course they wont for a while as the qualification system is a money
grab where you have to buy the right to be able to grant qualifications and
thats not cheap but if you take away the cost of the course materials that
will help in the fight to free up the exams by reducing the pool of vested
interests.

Tom te tom te tom