Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:58:48PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Simon Avery wrote:
> > I'm not going to get into an arguement with a hardcore debianite, but
> > IMO rebadging Thunderbird and Firefox as Icedove and Iceweasel is just
> > STUPID. Sorry - there's no other word for it!
> >
> Yeah, not only that it confuses people and when you try and explain the
> reasoning it sounds really petty and hardly something a new user is going
> to be impressed with. However I do understand why it's done.

If you understand why it was done, why do you feel it is petty?  Or
do you just mean it *sounds* petty?

Debian is legally not allowed to distribute their iceweasel package
under the name firefox, and this is something that Mozilla Corp.
insist upon.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB