Re: [LUG] OT: Banning comments - might interest some of you

Jaan Jänesmäe wrote:
> Isn't it the basic human right to say what you want to say (let others
> know publicly about your oppinion)? I really like the speakers corner
> in London Hyde park and am currently wondering if anyone has been sued
> after saying some controversial remarks in the public?

I think there is sometimes a fine line between Freedom of Speech and
defamation of character/slander/libel on occasion.  While I
wholeheartedly support Freedom of Speech it would be wise to always
ensure that any controversial and/or inflammatory comments can be
supported with documented evidence, preferably from accredited experts
in the field in question.

Also yes it is a basic human right to have and express an opinion,
however consideration needs to be taken of the venue, probable audience
etc.  e.g. saying that X football team are rubbish while surrounded by a
couple of thousand of their supporters might be legal and within human
rights, but that doesn't make it a good idea.  IIRC even Speakers'
Corner has some rules.

Kind regards,

Julian