Re: [LUG] Repository contents.

Grant Sewell writes:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:13:27 +0000
>
>> Hi,<snip>I have over a thousand programs installed on my system. Where is all of
>> this software?, how can I find it? and how can I add icons to the main menu if I
>> so desire ? Cheers for any replies!, Jon DAvey
>
> Hi John,
> Synaptic will tell you all the packages that are installed, and you may
> find that a rather large proportion of them are "libraries" and as such
> have no need for menu entries.
...yeah I thought so but this was a P2P program that I installed and I fully
expected there to ne an entry in the menu....
> I personally install "aptsh" pretty soon after a fresh install - it's a
> commandline tool that allows you quick access to some pretty nice
> functions of apt/dpkg... such as "aptsh listfiles xxxx" (xxxx being the
> name of an installed package) will give you a complete list of all the
> files said package has installed - if you grep that with bin then it'll
> give you a list of all files installed by that package that are in some
> "bin" directory:
> $ aptsh listfiles xxxx | grep -i "bin"
>
> (you may have to sudo it)
...OK....
> How you add entries to "the menu" depends on what you're running.  Both
> KDE and Gnome have their own respective menu editors - usually
> right-clicking on the menu should give you an option to do so.  If
> you're running something else, then that's a different matter.
....whatever comes as default with ubuntu 7.10(gutsy gibon), it's gnome I'm
pretty sure.
> Hope this helps.
> Grant.

OK, so I install the packedge with dkpg and find it using 'aptsh' in the
command line ? Does this only apply to packedges installed using thesde two
programs; 'apt' and 'dpkg' then? or will it locate all software ?.....