Re: [LUG] Remove windows

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:31:17PM +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
>>
>>> How can I delete the xp partition and give it to ubuntu?
>>>

>> Boot from the live cd and use gparted to delete the windows partition, then
>> move the ubuntu ext3 partition "down" the disk (to the left) to cover the
>> space previously used by windows, then expand the ubuntu ext3 partition up
>> to cover the gap created between it and the swap partition.
>>
>> Job done.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>

> how does that affect where grub loads from for the operating system
>
> on my system, hda1 is windows, (and where grub is  (mbr), and hda7 is
> where linux is,  if I delete hda1, and hda2 (data), it means that hda7
> in theory is no longer linux,  as hda7 becomes hda(something else) and
> grub or boot loader needs updating to suit
>
> if that makes any sense
>
> Paul

The partitions will stay the same.

Say for instance, my second hard drive has a 40GB ext3 partition on
there as partition 1 (ex-Ubuntu partition), a 200GB ext3 or so partition
as partition 2 (old home directory with some data still in it) and a
third partition which is swap.

If I delete the 1st partition on the disc (a 40GB partition) and resize
the others, the other partitions will still be partition 2 and 3, these
don't change in the partition table.

In fact if I wished, I could use the free space to create a partition 4
at the start of the disc.

Not sure though if Grub Stage 1 (or whatever it's called) is stored on
the MBR of XP or not, and if it is if it will need reinstalling.  I'd
presume the Grub menu.lst etc will be on the Ubuntu partition.

I think I'd go for the re-sizing partitions method.  Not sure about
mounting the partition as /home2, maybe a folder under /home/username,
say /home/username/backup.

Isn't it also a good idea to change the partition type in fdisk from 7
(NTFS/HPFS) to 83 (Linux) assuming the partition was re-formatted?

Rob