Re: [LUG] OT: Telly signal quality

On Friday 14 March 2008 10:13, Ray Smith wrote:

> Quality programmes do still exist ; although its all personal opinion.
> Larkrise has been excellent, Ashes to Ashes.
Haven't seen Larkrise but that woman in ashes to ashes looks so completely and
utterly non 1980's it pulls the whole illusion apart. Shame cos she's really
good but so badly casted/made up.
> And I do love recording Everybody loves Raymond & 2 & a half men.
I do hope you dont try and watch them! I learned to speak in the US but I find
their comedies as funny as piles. I bet good money you could put a canned
laughter track on Schindlers List and have half the US in stitches.

> That's just on the normal terrestial channels of course.
> As for the rest ? E4,BBC3 & 4 and Film 4 have something that's decent a
> couple of times a week.
>
> My solution to not wading through all the shopping channels is to set up a
> favorites list and just use that to check whats on.
I'm in that catch 22 realm of not knowing what the channels have to offer so
unable to properly filter so never get a favourites list set up.
And no peer group to 'guide' me....

> I've also found I've been a lot more selective as I can stream programmes
> from iplayer in linux & firefox to catch up.
>
> I just have a loft aerial. Can only get about 22 channels and find the
We have dishes/boxes and viewing cards but I'd draw the line at subscribing to
anything and still get ~400 channels.
> picture fine. No droput or freezing. Much improved signal since I tried
> OnDigital afew years ago. We are even getting rid of sky and just keeping
Got a lot of dropout with the gentle breeze last weekend
> it for FTV/FTA channels.
> The only thing I think we'll miss is Paramount & Sci-Fi.
> Stargate Atlantis on Sky1 is always available elsewhere.
That bloke who wrote twin peaks has got a lot to answer for - seems to have
spawned a lot of basically plotless programs that are written and produced
and filmed very well but are just well knitted cliche collections. There
seems to be the idea that if you actually 'move' the story then you make it
difficult for yourself later by reducing your options. So better to resonate
and give the illusion of a story line. Reminds me a lot of 'management
training'!
Tom te tom te tom