Re: [LUG] GNOME focus?

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 19:27 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > >  Anyone know where I should be looking to
> > > change the default behaviour of GNOME so that applications cannot
> > > take focus by themselves?
> >
> > This sounds like a Gtk+ function call in the program taking focus.
> >
> > >  It's infuriating!  4 times whilst writing this
> > > email I had the Ubuntu updater tool take focus away from the email
> > > client.
> >
> > Halt the Ubuntu updater?
> >
> > System->Preferences->Sessions will allow you to halt any panel applet.
>
> It's not the panel applet, it's when the updating application itself is
> running.  And for that matter, seemingly most applications will do
> this.

That's strange - Debian doesn't do that. Even minimised, applications
simply flash the titlebar in the task panel when they need attention.

>  Firefox being a notable exception - when it wants to get the
> user's attention it merely flashes the titlebar,

That is how all GNOME apps behave in Debian.

> whereas it would seem
> that many (most?) things in a vanilla Ubuntu will just take focus.  I
> used the updater tool as an example since it was running whilst typing
> out the email, and seems to be one of the worst offenders.

Do you have / can you create a Debian box and compare from that? I'm not
sure where you'd start looking, that's the problem. All I can say is
that something in the Ubuntu versions has changed this behaviour from
the Debian behaviour and therefore this at least lets you ignore any
setting that is the same as in Debian. That can cut down the number of
permutations but I still think this could be a deliberate change in one
of the GNOME/Gtk+ libraries at the compile stage via a Ubuntu-only
patch.

Not sure if that helps you that much.

Maybe contact one of the GNOME/Ubuntu lists?

--

Neil Williams