Re: [LUG] GNOME focus?

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:18:52 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 19:05 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Why o why did GNOME move to using a registry?
>
> You mean gconf?

Yes, that's what I mean.  It looks like a registry and it smells like a
registry... it's just not quite so ugly.

> >   I can't find a
> > particular option anywhere!
>
> Not everything is handled by gconf - some things are only available in
> the C APIs.
>
> >  Anyone know where I should be looking to
> > change the default behaviour of GNOME so that applications cannot
> > take focus by themselves?
>
> This sounds like a Gtk+ function call in the program taking focus.
>
> >  It's infuriating!  4 times whilst writing this
> > email I had the Ubuntu updater tool take focus away from the email
> > client.
>
> Halt the Ubuntu updater?
>
> System->Preferences->Sessions will allow you to halt any panel applet.

It's not the panel applet, it's when the updating application itself is
running.  And for that matter, seemingly most applications will do
this.  Firefox being a notable exception - when it wants to get the
user's attention it merely flashes the titlebar, whereas it would seem
that many (most?) things in a vanilla Ubuntu will just take focus.  I
used the updater tool as an example since it was running whilst typing
out the email, and seems to be one of the worst offenders.