Re: [LUG] ISP backups

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:18:23 +0000
Tom Potts wrote:

> On Thursday 13 March 2008 11:59, Julian Hall wrote:
> > Tom Potts wrote:
> > > Do any of the ISP backup/restore things (as so infuriatingly
> > > advertised by BT) work easily with Linux?
> > > Tom te tom te tom
> >
> > Personally I would not trust a third party to host my private
> > documents.  I'd much rather get an external USB drive and back it up
> > myself.  That way I know:
> Just to re-iterate - I'm trying to push rehashed Linux PC's to the
> unsuspecting public and wondering if Linux can easily be backed up to
> these hosted storage areas without having to have some crappy
> proprietary software to get started. I know a lot of ISP's have to be
> kick started in Windows but then run fine in Linux but thats no good
> for me trying to throw machines out the door at people
> Tom te tom te tom

If your ISP has this, then I would get a WinXP machine to run the
software and monitor what happens on the network with another machine
running Wireshark.

I can't imagine all these ISPs popping up with this "backup solution"
will each have invented their own protocol(s), so it's really only a
question of finding out which one(s) they're using.

Grant.