Re: [LUG] ISP backups

Tom Potts wrote:
> Do any of the ISP backup/restore things (as so infuriatingly advertised by BT)
> work easily with Linux?
> Tom te tom te tom
Personally I would not trust a third party to host my private
documents.  I'd much rather get an external USB drive and back it up
myself.  That way I know:

a) what has been backed up
b) where it has been backed up
c) who has access to it
d) what disaster recovery plan exists

Even if the ISP encrypts it so their employees *allegedly* can't read
it[1] somebody has the key somewhere or they couldn't comply with RIPA
to let law enforcement personnel have access, with a warrant.  The point
being how many of us have lost email when our ISP's POP3 server goes
down because we haven't collected it yet?  This is the same ISP we would
be trusting not to lose all our private data in a crash.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] I don't know if they do but I would hope so.