Re: [LUG] OT: Telly signal quality

On 13 Mar 2008, at 09:04, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 08:38 +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
>> I've been down here a couple of years now (only 58 to go to be
>> accepted as
>> possibly human!) and over that period (especially during high
>> pressure) the
>> picture quality on our analogue boxes has gone down enormously.
>> I put this down to the attempt to lever people on to digital - has
>> anyone else
>> noticed this or is just my health paranoia?
>
> It's not an attempt to push people onto digital because the effects of
> the same problem on digital TV are far, far worse.
>
> Analogue problems just add a bit of fuzzy or snowy inconvenience to
> the
> display.
>
> Digital problems drop the entire channel and usually 5 or 6 either
> side
> for as much as an hour.
>
> Taking into account the average "quality" of digital TV, that means
> that
> I can easily lose all watchable TV at random intervals and for
> indeterminate durations.
>
> --

This is all true, but the Government has assured us that it'll be all
so much better when we go totally digital, as the signal will be
boosted. If you can believe them. I've been digital for about 2 to 3
years and my reception is better than Neils, but not much. During the
summer we're plagued by break-up and loss of vision, and it's always
when I want to watch the Proms on BBC 4! However, we can all rejoice
at the Government being able to sell of the analogue bandwidth. It
completes my joy, coming at the same time as Torquay Council is
attempting to sell off our green spaces. End of rant by grumpy old
woman.

Clare