Re: [LUG] Home repositories

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:06:45 +0000, james kilty  wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:33 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
>
>> Yup. I have a local copy of dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy and hardy
>> repositories for i386 and AMD64 architectures. Each one clocks up about
> 17G
>> of space for binary only, about 35G if you want binary and source
> packages.
>>
>> I use apt-mirror to keep that up to date, which runs overnight each day.
> Another subject for a demo!
>
> Is there a page somewhere to take me step by step to understand how to
> do this. I presume this is how a network with 2 or more identically set
> up computers is kept up to date and therefore a basic ingredient of a
> network. Or a book - as it should be obvious from my posts that I know
> little about networking and await a beginner's simple set-up steps.
> There may come a day when my wife and/or daughter use the same as my
> laptop.
>
> --
> james kilty

Hi James,

This would be a very big way of doing it, yes.  Essentially if you want 2+
machines to be kept "up to date" then you could use proxy-apt (or whatever
it's called).  One machine gets the updates and keeps them in it's cache,
the other machines get their updates from it rather than from t'Internet.

When creating complete mirrors like this, it offers much greater
flexibility - such as being able to install the OS from within your
network, rather than having to use an installation CD/DVD or using a public
(and slower) mirror.

Grant.