Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Remote Log in

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:22 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Sorry to be a PITA, but just to clarify...
Hi Grant, thanks for taking an interest

> You *can* do PCLinuxOS -> Debian
Yes
> You *can* do *other*   -> Debian
Deb -> deb
> You *cannot* do Ubuntu -> Debian
Umm no I can not.
> but you *can* do other -> Ubuntu?
Not tested will test next.

My Debian machine is running behind me in the corner as a "server".  I
am at my Ubuntu machine.  I can drag and drop files between the two.
(Well selected folders).  However if, from the login screen, I select
Remote Login Via XDMCP it dont work (it did once) (But I can see the
Debian machine to select it).  I insert a PCLinuxOS disk into this
"Ubuntu" box and I can now log into my Debian Machine.

The same goes logging out from my lappy..

> Can the Ubuntu machine use any other services provided by the Debian one?
> ie Are they on the same network?

Yes

> Have you got any form of key authentication going on?  Does your Ubuntu
> have your Debian's new key?

I dont think so???

> I'm sure there'll be a whole host of other questions, but this is all I can
> think of at short notice.
Yes it would be a shame to switch distros for such a minor problem.

Thanks

Peter