[LUG] MusicXML

I've been having some fun with NoteEdit and like the idea of getting loads of
out of copyright tunes out in MusicXML.
I want to approach my local primary school - perhaps with a linux box setup
with a few music programs - and with luck the kids can generate a lot of
tunes for everyone.
Alack and alas they have a lot of windows machines and if it takes off they
may like to be able to read the MusicXML in windows. Does anyone know of a
free music editor for W2K/XP that can import/export MusicXML - and preferably
play it too?
Tom te tom te tom